Key Stage 4 at Bishop Vaughan
You may be worried about moving from Year 9 to Year 10, you have asked questions such as…
- What is the difference between BTEC and GCSE?
- What equipment do you need in year 10?
- How much homework are we expected to do?
- When do I need to start revising?
BTEC vs GCSEs
- Lots of course work
- Equivalent to A*-E at GCSE
- On-going assessments. Some exams
- Includes some vocational element Assessed through coursework and portfolio
- Pass, Merit or Distinction
- Exam based. Some coursework
- Can get A*-U
- Includes controlled assessments assessed through school
- You will be required to have the following:
- Pens, pencils, ruler etc.
- Resources specific to your subject e.g. Spanish dictionary, Revision guides
- You are going to have up to two homework tasks a day!
- The homework will normally be due in 3-7 days
- You are going to have to be organised with handing in your homework on time
- If your attendance is below 80% then you cannot sit your GCSE external exams
- If you miss school work then it is crucial that you catch up
- You need to start revising at the beginning of the spring term 2018.
- Spread revision out! Attend revision lessons.
- Have a time table and stick to it!
Who to talk to
- You can talk to your tutors, Heads of Year, subject teachers, Heads of Department and your parents or guardians.
- Remember our advice and you will be fine. Year 10 is better than you think!
“It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
“Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail.”